Monday, December 17, 2007

3eedo ya 3eed!



There is something unusual about this eid. Amman seems awfully quiet. I was driving down to the Jordan valley this evening. I was rushing like mad thinking that I am going to be stuck in traffic. The roads were extremely quiet. There was little traffic on the road, and there was somehow a hint of sadness. I thought I would be glad to be cruising through the roads without the hassle of getting stuck in what is becoming Amman's usual suffocating jams. Funnily I found myself disappointed that this eid was nowhere to be found on the streets.

Why this calm? Is it my imagination? Has eid become the latest casualty (Dahiyyeh) of a life where there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel? Have the the skyrocketing costs of living in Jordan claimed the joy that comes with festive occasions? Have the people become the very sacrificial lambs of this eid?

Whatever the mood is out there....and for whatever it is worth...Happy Eid Al-Adha everybody!

No comments: