On Jordan Television’s (Jtv) 8 o’clock main news bulletin today, the newscaster announced that the Kuwaiti government is seeking teachers in various disciplines; and like a good headhunter he went on to give instructions for those qualified and are interested in applying on how to submit their applications.
1. Is this really news that should be broadcast on the main TV news bulletin?
2. Has the world run out of news that we now have to resort to broadcasting such ass-kissing gestures?
3. Does anyone believe that the Kuwaiti Television (or any other Television for that matter) would ever announce on their main news bulletin Jordan’s recruitment requirements for employees in let’s say the hospitality and banking sectors?
4. Does the recent visit of the Kuwaiti Prime Minister to Jordan have anything to do with modifying the mandate of Jtv?
5. Until when will we keep on witnessing substandard work produced by Jtv and financed by our tax money?
Finally, the 8 o’clock news editor seems to be living in La-La Land. A brief survey of all the major sectors in Jordan, and one finds that brain drain and the severe shortage of skilled and qualified labor seem to be the biggest challenge to the proper development of Jordan. Advocating flight of skilled workers on the national TV network is really embarrassing.
If we are so desperate for the remittances and money transfers made by Jordanians working overseas, it does not hurt to be a bit tactful about it. "iza bulleetom fastatiroo"